Thursday, April 22, 2010

Drawing Inspiration

For years I've been a horror fan. Dystopian films such as Brazil have always had a profound influence on my writing.

With Nicotine Stains I've found myself returning to the roots of modern horror and have bagan to revisit the late 1970's and early 1980's horror scene. Combat Shock (akak American nightmares) and Maniac among others have been speaking to me more and more. Their gritty, realistic tone drives through the destitute horror of sometimes ludicrous (by today's standards) effects. Films like this are what made me love horror in the first place. After the mid 1980's horror began to get away from realism and go into a cartoonish area. For Nicotine Stains one need only watch Matt Fowler rehearse to see we're going back to that style.

No comments:

Post a Comment